The increasing demand for efficiency and precision as well as high volumes have led to the adoption of computer numerical control (CNC) machining for fabricating parts and components that make up the final product. This advanced machining technology has eased OEMs’ jobs by producing complex components with remarkable accuracy. All OEMs need to do is partner with a reliable, ISO certified CNC machining services provider.
International Organization for Standardization (ISO) certification holds immense value for custom CNC machining shops. Being ISO certified signifies that the shop adheres to internationally recognized standards and best practices, ensuring high quality, efficiency, and consistency in its operations. Their expertise lies not only in the process of cutting-edge CNC machines but also in selecting materials that ensure optimal performance and longevity of the end product. Are you intrigued to know how ISO certified machine shops choose materials for CNC machining? Continue reading the post to know more.
ISO Certified Machine Shop: Material Selection for CNC Machining
CNC machines can support different types of soft as well as hard materials. However, this doesn’t guarantee your project success. Some key pointers help certified machine shops make firm decisions regarding material selection.
- Understanding Project Requirements: The first selection consideration must be understanding the project’s requirements. CNC machines are used to manufacture a wide range of product parts applicable across industries such as automotive, heavy engineering, aerospace, and more. Most certified machine shops work closely with their clients to understand their specific needs, operating environment, and intended applications of the finished parts. Clients can select material options that fulfill the project demand by clarifying these aspects.
- Leveraging ISO Standards for Material Database: Another benefit of working with an certified machine shop is that they have access to a comprehensive material database. They can provide a reliable reference for various materials’ properties, including thermal conductivity, strength, hardness, and corrosion resistance. This database allows them to compare materials and make informed decisions based on the empirical data.
- Considering Material Properties and Machinability: Each material is unique with its mechanical and thermal properties. ISO certified machine shops analyze and evaluate these properties such as malleability, hardness, ductility, and so on, to determine how machinable a material is. Factors such as flexibility, machinability, and tensile strength are carefully considered to ensure the chosen material can be effectively shaped into the required form without compromising quality and structural integrity.
- Cost Effectiveness and Budget: Although performance is one vital aspect, certified machine shop owners are also aware of the significance of cost effectiveness. They strive to balance machining requirements and material quality with the client’s budget constraints. Providing several material options with best prices on bulk orders prevents exceeding the client’s budget. Also, it allows clients to make informed decisions within their budget.
- Compliance with Industry Standards and Regulations: ISO standards cover aspects related to CNC machining and its associated processes. It also involves adherence to industry standards and regulations for material selection. Based on the application, different industries require specific material certifications such as those related to the medical or aerospace sectors. ISO certified shops guarantee the compliance of selected materials with all the necessary standards.
- Material Traceability and Quality Control: Material traceability and quality control are important considerations of ISO certified shops. They keep detailed records of the materials used in each project. This ensures that any issues related to material defects or inconsistencies can be addressed. These aspects add to the quality of the CNC machining process and enable future reference or replication if required.
If your upcoming industrial application requires precise parts in large volumes, it is always a good practice to consult an ISO certified CNC machine services provider. Princeton Industrial Products, Inc. is a one-stop solution for all your custom CNC machining needs. It is an ISO 9001:2015 CNC machine shop capable of successfully delivering complex large parts through CNC machining projects. They are equipped with state-of-the-art machinery and a team of experts.